THE CRITICAL JUNIOR POET’S AWARD CONTEST GUIDELINES
About the Critical Junior Poet’s Award
The Critical Junior Poet’s Award was established to foster an interest in poetry in
students between the ages of 13 and 18, and provides a basis for recognition and
encouragement of outstanding student interest and achievement in the art of poetry.
Subject to all terms and guidelines of the Critical Junior Poet’s Award contest, the
winner of the 2018 Critical Junior Poet’s Award will receive the following:
- • A $100 prize,
- • $20 iTunes card,
- • A CD of master poets reading their works,
- • Publication of at least one of his/her winning works in a 2018
issue of The Critical Pass Review, and
- • One free, digital copy of that issue.
- • Each entrant’s school will receive a free digital, two-issue subscription to
The Critical Pass Review, including the issue in which the winner’s
work is published and the preceding issue, upon request.
- • The winner of the Critical Junior Poet’s Award may cite the award as an
accolade in publication submissions to publishers and in college
- • In some cases, with the winner’s consent, The Critical Pass Review
elects to run a bio or interview with the winner in the same issue as the
winner’s work is featured.
Other Contest Perks
- • Access to our poetry resources library,
- • Hands-on mentoring from our editorial staff (you will receive comments from
our editors, who are very dedicated to working with you to improve
your work and to foster a deep interest in the poetry craft), and
- • The ability to rework your submissions as many times as you like before the
Submission Deadlines & Award Decision Date
Our reading period for the 2018 Critical Junior Poet’s Award contest begins on
November 1, 2017 with all submissions due by September 1, 2018. The Critical Junior
Poet’s Award is an editors’ choice award and will be judged by the editors of The
Critical Pass Review at their sole discretion, with a decision announced on October 1, 2018.
How to Submit
Before submitting, we strongly recommend that you read the poetry in our past issues, taking particular note of the poems of our past Critical Junior Poet’s Award Contest winners. Also, please make sure that you read, and that you satisfy, the full terms of the guidelines displayed to you on our Submittable web page after you click the submit button below. The full guidelines can also be viewed here.
There is no entry fee for the Critical Junior Poet’s Award Contest.
Click the button to read our guidelines and to submit your manuscript!